Staying on Track with Goal Setting
By Sarah Yetkiner, Careers Services Consultant, triOS College, Kitchener
Goal setting is something that many people find intimidating and yet it is a simple and effective way to define and achieve your dreams. Often, year after year of failed New Year?s resolutions leave us feeling that we don?t have the willpower to achieve what we set out to. In reality though, resolutions are nothing more than an intention to act whereas goals are intentions with an action plan and a specific end point in mind.
As a business woman, you?ll constantly need to set goals. Following these five strategies will help you stay on track.
- Start with the big picture: Goals are dreams with a deadline so dream as big as you want to. Think about what it is you want to achieve in all areas of your life; financial, family, career etc.
- Know your motivation: People want things for different reasons. For one person ?save $1,000 by December? could be the spending money for Christmas gifts while for someone else it could be the security of building an emergency fund. Knowing why you are working towards your goal will help you stay motivated and on track when the going is tough.
- Set S.M.A.R.T. goals: To be most effective your goals should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Specific. ?Book five client meetings? is a great goal but attaching a realistic time frame, for example ?book five client meetings this month? or ?book five client meetings per week? sets clear expectations for when the goal should be achieved.
- Write your goals down: Writing goals down is crucial to success. Writing things down is a subconscious commitment to action so make sure that you put your goals on paper and then place them somewhere you will see them every day to keep yourself motivated and on track.
- Attach an action plan: Some goals can be completed with just one step; others need a series of actions to be realized. Make time to attach a clear action plan to your goals and celebrate your successes every step of the way.
Effective goal setting can help increase productivity, raise your level of achievement and allow you to balance your life more easily, reducing stress and increasing happiness. Give it a try this month and see how much you can achieve!