New Features for 2013
GENERAL FEATURES AND CHANGES
- Starting in 2013, there will now be 5 awesome issues per year to inspire, guide and encourage you to succeed.
- 4 themed issues will be published online – 1 per season – and will contain articles, stories and tips on hot topics of interest to women across the globe. (See 2013 themes at right.)
- A ?Spotlight on Business? edition, focusing on business women, female entrepreneurs and other inspirational women of Waterloo-Wellington, will be published online and in print* for distribution to their target market.
- New low cost advertising make promoting in Powerful Women Magazine even more affordable and cost-effective for small-business owners, solo-entrepreneurs & start-ups.
- Most ads in the 4 themed issues will be full and half page sizes, to maximize visibility for each advertiser.
- Ask the Expert spots have been expanded to half page size with larger text and higher word count.
Contributors may include a business card, basebar or new ?contact card? style ad to accompany submissions.
- Huge discounts are available to advertisers wishing to promote in all 5 issues in 2013 (or 5 consecutive issues).**
- Starting in 2013, Powerful Women Magazine will now accept article and photo submissions from writers, photographers, business women, female entrepreneurs and career women from across Canada and around the world.
- Powerful Women Magazine will now contain photo spreads to showcase photographers and inspirational women from Waterloo-Wellington and across the globe.
- The 4 themed issues will now contain lifestyle articles and stories of personal achievements and inspiration.
- Future editions of the ?Spotlight on Business? issue may be opened up to other communities/locations and printed/distributed to their target market.*
- Articles from each issue will be added to the article section (blog) of www.powerfulwomen.ca thereby increasing traffic to the website and readership of the magazine.
- Starting in 2013, subscribers to the website will receive notifications as soon as each issue is published online.
- All advertisers and fee-paying contributors in the online issues will be linked to their website or social media page.
- New ?Contributors? Bios? and ?Gallery? sections will be added to the website and contributors will be invited to submit their bios and/or inspirational photos.
- A ?Spotlight on Business? section will be added to the website to showcase new, unique and diverse business women and female entrepreneurs.
See below for a full list of features and changes.
*?Spotlight on Business? edition will be published online at a date to be determined and will be printed subject to demand for distribution within Waterloo-Wellington.
**See media kit for rates and discounts. Please also review our additonal terms.
FEATURES OF THE FOUR THEMED ISSUES
- The four themed issues will follow a similar format to past issues i.e. one main theme per issue with articles from local women sharing their expertise, knowledge and experiences with a predominantly female readership.
- The four themed issues will be published online only on or close to the 21st of March, June, September and December.
- Articles, business features and advertisements will be opened up to Canadian and international contributors and advertisers to reflect the needs of small business owners, career women and female entrepreneurs across the globe.
- The four themed issues may also include media releases for books, artists, new businesses and websites at the discretion of the Publisher, although a small charge or an accompanying ad may be required in some circumstances.
- The four themed issues may include a variety of lifestyle-related articles (such as food, health, fitness, fashion, photography, home & garden, and non-business-related international women and/or inspirational women) of interest to a global female audience, as well as feature articles on women in men’s roles, artists/craftswomen, women in technology and other business/career-related articles.
- The four themed issues will include photo spreads from photographers wishing to showcase their work or to feature someone they know. Photo or photo spread must be inspirational and complement the theme of the issue in which it appears. A small charge or accompanying ad may be required in some circumstances.
- The space for articles and photo spreads in the four themed online-only issues is no longer limited by the number of pages available. However articles should be between 300 and 1500 words and a maxium of four pages per article and/or photo spread will be allocated.
- The four themed issues will be available to read online in a variety of formats including hi-res PDF, Flash Flip Book and blog-style. The hi-res PDF may be downloaded to PC or tablet to read offline later in Acrobat, iBooks, Kindle or other PDF reading app.
Contributors (submitting articles and photos)
- Starting in 2013, Powerful Women Magazine will include article and photo submissions from writers, photographers, business women, female entrepreneurs and career women from across Canada and around the world.
- Contributors are invited to submit articles on a regular basis on topics relating to their field of expertise or to submit one-off articles relating to a particular theme and/or topic that may not already be included in a specific issue.
- Amateur writers, literary students or newly professional writers looking to build their portfolios are invited to submit business or lifestyle articles relating to the theme of specific issue(s) or stories about successful business women, female leaders and other inspirational women they may know.
- Photographers are invited to send one or more inspirational photo to complement the theme of each issue, to showcase their work or to feature inspirational women that they know.
- Editorial and photographic contributors will be credited for their submissions. Credits will include name plus title and/or company name. Additional contact information may be included at the discretion of the Publisher.
- Photos submitted with articles will only be credited when the photographer’s information is supplied by the contributor prior to publication. (See terms & conditions.)
- Article submissions and photo spreads may be subject to a fee depending on the the nature of the article/photos and the approximate word count / space allocated, unless accompanied by an advertisement of equivalent or higher value.
- One photo, photo spread or article from each themed issue may be chosen to appear in the “Spotlight on Business” issue, provided the contributor or the subject of the article/photos has a connection with Waterloo-Wellington.
- All contributors (past, present and future) are invited to send their bio, headshot photo and web address (or link to one social media page) for inclusion in the new-for-2013 “Contributors’ Bios” section of the website.
- All editorial contributors are invited to submit additional non-promotional articles to the article section of the website, www.powerfulwomen.ca/articles/. Contributors must register as a user and all articles must be approved by the Publisher prior to publishing.
- Photographic contributors are invited to submit inspirational photos to the new “gallery” section of the website. Photographers must register as a user and all photos must be approved by the Publisher prior to publishing.
Advertisers (and advertising contributors)
- All stand-alone advertisements in the four themed (online-only) issues will be full page and half page sizes only providing maximum visibility for each advertiser.
- Advertisers in the themed issues may include a non-promotional article to accompany their ad. The article must complement the theme of the issue.
- An advertising or fee-paying contributor may include a business card, basebar or small “contact card” style ad to accompany their articles in preference to full or half page ad. The size of the ad will depend on the size of the accompanying article and may be adjusted to fit the space available.
- Advertising rates have been substantially reduced for the online-only issues compared to the rate for print ads, making them more affordable for small business owners, solo-entrepreneurs and start-ups.
- Reduced rates are available for multiple insertions and early payment.
- Not-for-profit ad space in the online issue will be available at no charge, subject to the ad meeting the Publisher’s approval. Ad design will be charged at the regular rate less 20%.
- See Media Kit for full specifications and rates.
Ask the Experts
- Ask the Experts spots in all five issues will be increased to half page size with larger text and a higher word count, and may appear one or two per page or spread.
- All Ask the Experts spots include logo, contact info, photo, name, field of expertise, plus a 140 word Question and Answer.
- Experts may choose to appear in one or more of the themed online-only? issues (previously Experts appeared in all 4 issues for the year), in the “Spotlight on Business” edition only or in all 5 issues.
- The rates for Ask the Experts spots have been reduced for the four themed online-only issues and substantially reduced for multiple insertions.
- The rate for the print issue has been increased to reflect the new size, but is still a bargain.
- Experts appearing in all four themed online-only issues and paying in full with their order (or within 7 days by cheque), may choose one Q and A from the themed issues to appear in the “Spotlight on Business” issue or a completely new Q and A, at 50% the regular print price (see Media Kit).
?SPOTLIGHT ON BUSINESS ISSUE FEATURES
- The “Spotlight on Business” issue will be published online and in print annually (date to be determined) and distributed throughout Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph and surrounding areas over a 2-3 month period and will include the following:
- ?At least 1 feature article (inspirational story) from each online issue
- At least 1 inspirational photo or photo spread from each online issue
- A full page article from each advertising contributor who has booked and paid for all four online issues and the print issue 30 days prior to print publication
- 1 Ask the Expert Q and A from Experts booking a spot in all five issues
- 1 (previously unpublished) Spotlight on Business article featuring a business owner, female entrepreneur or start-up business in Waterloo Region or Wellington County chosen by the Publisher.
- Additional print advertising, business features, articles and photos not previously published.
- Depending on space, additional articles from any of the previous online issues
- The print issue may also include a list of themes for the upcoming online issues, submission deadlines, pricing and general specifications etc. subject to space available.
- Only articles and photos from or by contributors or about women from Waterloo-Wellington and surrounding areas will be included in the print edition unless
- an advertisement is accompanied with the article
- the contributor has a Waterloo/Wellington affiliation
- Advertising in the print edition will be open to anyone whose target market is female and/or in Waterloo-Wellington and surrounding areas
- Advertisers are not required to advertise in the online issues to advertise in the print edition
- Reduced advertising rates compared with previous print issues
- Substantially reduced rates for advertisements booked in four consecutive online issues and paid in full at least 15 days prior to first insertion.
- Media releases for events will be posted in the Events section of the website and opened up to international organizations, networking groups, speakers and not-for-profits and posted at the discretion of the Publisher.
- Where ads are created in-house, advertisers will be supplied with both a hi-res PDF for print use and a JPG for web use after full payment has been received or after publication of the first issue in which their ad appears (whichever is the latter).
- All advertisers with a full page print ad will have their ad featured on the website for a 3 month period.
- All advertisers booking 4 insertions in the themed issues and paying in full at least 15 days prior to first insertion may have their ad featured on the website for the duration of the advertising cycle.
- All advertisers booking 4 insertions in the themed issues plus a print ad in the “Spotlight on Business” issue may have their business featured in the new “Spotlight on Business” section of the website.
- 1 lucky advertiser booking four online ads and a print ad may have their business featured in the “Spotlight on Business” print edition.